Sunday, June 20, 2010

Junior Pigeon Dot Com

I get quite a few emails from people who ask me why I'd spend "so much time" on a website that is negative. The truth is, I don't spend very much time on this website. But back when I started IHATECROCS, it was definitely needed. For my own sanity.

I'm sure I've told the tale before, but the origin of IHATECROCS is as follows: I was in high school. I had lived a Croc-free existence for my entire life. Suddenly, into the room walks someone wearing Crocs. My friend Matt pointed out to me the ridiculousness of the shoe. But, they were only being worn by that one weird guy in the class, so I thought nothing of it. We made fun of the shoes because they were so bizarre and ugly. Some time passed.

More people started wearing them. It was very strange. Like a virus or an outbreak of zombies. It was spreading. People in my group of friends started wearing them. And then... one day... Matt got a pair. Matt, the guy who had been making fun of Crocs with me. The guy who pointed them out to me! He was wearing a pair of black Crocs. I didn't understand. I had to know there were other sane people in the world. I started up IHATECROCS and that's how you come to be looking at these words.

All of this is just a roundabout way of letting you know that I have another site and it's not about hating things. It's called Junior Pigeon Dot Com and my girlfriend and I started it as an outlet for our various projects and hijinx. So, check it out! We're going to do cool things!


The MacKenzie / Ravina Memorial Toaster from Junior Pigeon on Vimeo.

3 comments:

Jennifer Manzullo said...

I didn't waste too much of my time reading your blog because as you say over and over (as if it needs repeating) its pretty clear what your blog is about. When I first saw crocs I hated them too. I still kinda do hate what they represent, as least as far as I am concerned, PERSONALLY. But what's interesting to note is that in my experience (as a human being) I've learned that what people "hate" they don't understand. As I said I didn't waste my time reading your entire blog as my time is valuable. But I'm pretty sure that you have been offered multiple reasons as to why people like, purchase and wear Crocs. All of which are apparently lost on you, someone who seems to be pretty compassion-less.

If you want to talk about the APPEAL of the shoes, visually, ok I'll give you that. But I'm sure if I wanted to, and considered it worth taking time out of my life, I could go on and on about the frugality of a $500 pair of shoes that offer nothing but looking good ~ to others. So what does it say about the person willing to spend $500 to look good for someone else versus the person who buys a pair of Crocs because they are comfortable? At least Crocs have some functionality. When I spend a lot of time on my feet my heels hurt immensely and I have to pick my shoes very carefully. My suggestion to you is to 1) Keep doing what you're doing as you, like everyone, are entitled to your opinion and b) Lighten up and admit that Crocs like EVERYTHING in life ~ have their place and purpose.

YOU don't always have to understand WHAT or WHY something makes another person happy, but what you should aspire to be is someone who has an open mind. Or does it make you feel better to pass judgment? I could go on, but frankly I don't think you're blog is worth any more of my time. I guess I just HATE haters and according to my own comments it's because I don't understand them; probably more like I don't care to try. If all haters care about is hating then why should I try to understand them? So go on and be a hater if it makes you happy. Personally, I think it's a waste of everything we are meant to be, do and share with each other.

croci said...

I hate nerdy guys with pointy noses....

Anonymous said...

I have never agreed more fervently with a website in my entire life. Crocs are devil spawn. No overstatement.

Disliking one thing is not the same as being a 'hater.' And if not voicing my opinion on the most unbelievably vile piece of footwear EVER means I'm classed as a 'hater' then so be it.